What is Manufacturing Day?
Manufacturing Day℠ (MFG DAY) is an annual celebration of modern manufacturing. Its purpose is to inspire the next generation of manufacturers by giving companies all over the nation a chance to open their doors and show what manufacturing is, while breaking down the stereotypes that surround the industry.
MFG DAY typically takes place on the first Friday in October, this year being Oct. 7, however, according to the official website, “Any day of the year can be a Manufacturing Day.”
Why should I participate?
According to a report by Deloitte and the Manufacturing Institute, baby boomer retirement and economic expansion is contributing to a growing shortage of manufacturing workers. Of the 3.5 million manufacturing jobs predicted to open in the next decade, we will be 2 million workers short to fill them.
If manufacturing doesn’t do anything to entice millennials, YOUR business is very likely to be affected by this shortage.
It is important to participate because we must change the outdated view of manufacturing. MFG DAY provides a platform for manufacturers to collectively change the skewed public view that manufacturing careers are old-fashioned, uninteresting and low-paying.
This is an opportunity to show millennials that a career in manufacturing can be high paying and technology-driven.
How can I get involved?
- Visit the MFG DAY website to learn more and sign up for email updates about developments in your area and around the U.S.
- At the time of writing this article, there are 474 MFG DAY events planned for 2016. Find an event in your area to attend here.
- Interested in going the extra mile? Join the movement and host your own MFG DAY event. Your event can be any size or shape. Don’t forget to share your success story afterward.
- Check out the many resources available on the MFG DAY website.
- Follow the #MFGDAY16 hashtag on Twitter
- Watch this MFG DAY video from 2015 to get inspired!
Don’t miss the chance to open your doors to the next generation, gain new talented workers, inspire future manufacturers and network with others who share the same mission.