Our Experts | Lori Osborne, Recruitment Specialist
I’ve been in the business of relationships for the past 16 years. Twelve years as a staffing account manager, two years as a per diem staffing coordinator and two years as an RN recruiter.
Over the years, I’ve developed a passion surrounding the importance of relationship building in business.
Here are the keys to relationship building that I live by:
- Get to know the contact. It’s more than just knowing what they need and want on a professional level. It’s taking a moment find a little way to connect, to ask a personal question. Take notes and make sure you remember their answer so you can talk about it again in the future.
- Keep in touch. This one is big. It doesn’t have to be often, but regular communication with your business contacts every now and again goes far.
- Keep your word. If you say you’re going to do something, do it!
- Own up. If you make a mistake, admit it and try to rectify and move on. An apology will go a long way.
- Treat all as equals. No matter how big or how small, your business contacts are all important. You never know what could happen a year or more down the road.
- Don’t push relationships that aren’t working. Don’t let go of the contact, but if the relationship isn’t working, try to find a way to reallocate them to a teammate who may connect with them better.